Re: Re: Re: Tony E

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on November 28, 2003 at 14:16:22:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Tony E posted by Tony E on November 26, 2003 at 20:02:29:

I sold a 4 valve front action York "monster" Eb last year. With the 19" bell it was just about the same size as my King 2341, and had a similar sound, which was why I decided not to keep it. It also had the high/low pitch donut and was just barely in modern pitch with the donut not engaged and the main slide all the way out. The low BBb was also tough to play clearly for me. If I were looking for a "bass tuba" to complement a good contra, I would look for the smaller version.

York eefers are also likely to be hard to find, especially since the parts from the monster eefers make such good CC tubas. 4 valve versions are even more scarce, so you might consider broadening your criteria. H.N. White/King made a nice Eb if you can find one, and there are plenty of older Conns around, although again mostly with 3 valves.

I have been a BBb player since I started, and am still a rank (very) amateur. I decided to try an Eb a couple of years ago, and found it to be very easy to pick up. I still confuse the fingerings ocassionally, but I only play Eb a few times a year. I think you will be surprised at how easy it is.

Follow Ups: