Re: Question about 3 vs 4 valve Compensators

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric on November 26, 2003 at 11:06:09:

In Reply to: Question about 3 vs 4 valve Compensators posted by Statman on November 25, 2003 at 13:57:28:

I have a Besson compensating Eb bass horn and it really makes a lot of sense on a horn where so much of the time one is playing in the bottom register. What I dont like is how heavy the valves are.

Don't be afraid of using a 100 year old horn. My sousaphone is 80, my bass horn is 100, my main Bb tuba is 120, and my larger Eb tuba is 150. The big difference with old horns is they arent quite as powerful as new ones. I recently compared my old tubas to the new Conn 52j and Meinl-Weston 2145 and some other various horns I dont remember the names of and there was little comparison. The new ones are louder, heavier, and not quite as pretty sounding, but the 2145 was close in terms of sound. Also it's easier to adjust the intonation by lip on the old horns whereas on the new ones the note just collapses and you have to figure out some alternate fingerings. Just make sure to thoroughly check an old horn for leaks (and they usually have at least one). Even the tiniest crack or leaky joint can transform a great horn into one that plays like crap.

Follow Ups: