Re: Question about 3 vs 4 valve Compensators

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken L on November 25, 2003 at 16:37:56:

In Reply to: Question about 3 vs 4 valve Compensators posted by Statman on November 25, 2003 at 13:57:28:

Your last line struck a nerve.

Yesterday I spent over four hours with Roger Lewis down at Brasswinds, trying out tubas. I haven’t played tuba in many, many years. Just bass trombone and euphonium.

After trying BBb tubas from VMI, Miraphone, King, etc., I narrowed it to two horns, a Miraphone 187, and a Besson Bbb compensator 3+1. I too have seen many Bessons on ebay, and really never thought too much of the horns. I never played one before. Heck, I’ve never seen anyone playing one before, except in a brass band setting. Although the Besson was a tank, and I had to use a playing stand, (very awkward). I really liked the horn. Go figure. I went with the 187 mainly on the reason of ease of selling it in the future. But I must admit. Although both horns are about as different as two horns can be, either one would have suited my needs quite nicely.

By the way. My thousand mile plus round trip to South Bend was well worth it. Although just an amateur player, Mr Lewis treated me very well indeed. Not only did he help me find my perfect horn. But also the best mouthpiece for it. It was like a four hour personal masterclass, with one of the finest tuba players out there.

And to Roger - When I got home last night, the first thing I did was shave off the moustache and imperial. Darn, if you weren’t right. I can play pedal tones on a tuba!

Follow Ups: