Re: Flat Chin?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by joe exley on November 20, 2003 at 15:43:51:

In Reply to: Flat Chin? posted by dude on November 19, 2003 at 23:09:03:

This situation is something that helped me quite a bit so I'll chime in here on a slow afternoon...

The term is probably used to avoid a bunched chin and mainly applies to playing in the mid to hi-mid register. It is also/refers to "shifting” to get into the higher register (the two are related) If you can teach yourself to keep good form with your lower jaw/lip [not curled in], especially while getting into the higher-mid register (top o bc staff for cbs tuba etc) and to make good sounds with that proper form (it takes a while if you have been shifting for a long time) you can alleviate that need to shift when heading on up.
Practicing scales going up, articulated (fast enough to multiple tounge) is a good way to replace the bad habit with a better one. It is hard to shift fast enough while doing this, so by playing the music you teach yourself the correct habit.

[I don’t intend to start a shifting debate – obviously some adjustment can be made in extreme registers and you have to loosen up while heading down, but that is not what this is about]

This situation helped me A LOT -- I have to be in good shape (playing EVERY day) to maintain it. If I skip days I end up going back to the old way -- which still gets a good sound in the register, but I have to shift in inconvenient places. Also, playing on a slightly narrower cup mouthpiece helps out too. It is best when I dont think about the embrochure (other than keeping basic form) and go for the music and sound.

Peace

je
nyc

Follow Ups: