Re: When did you buy yours?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Johan Gustafsson on November 20, 2003 at 13:19:20:

In Reply to: When did you buy yours? posted by Steve W on November 18, 2003 at 22:02:09:

As chance would have it I have, since in music school, wound up in bands were there always was a tuba I could borrow, so I haven't had the need to own one till about five-six years ago when I felt the need for a better horn.

The instruments I've had or still has:

*BrassBand 4rv BBb raw brass. Bought 1999 from a school as a project horn. Very dented, rattly and leaky. Sent to real repairman in 2001, got it back in 2002. Sold to student a couple of months ago.

*American Diplomat compact (3/4 or smaller) BBb sousa. Bought 2001. Very nicely restored by Harvey Hartman. I really bought it to resell to the school where I teach but due to lack of students the sale was never completed so it has remained mine. Currently for sale.

*Boosey&Hawkes Imperial EEb tuba 3v compensating, frosty silver, thick metal. Bought in 2002. Succumbed to the pressure from a fellow tubist in my Home Guard band, and sold it to him earlier this year. Now he can play those low A's!

*Besson Sovereign 993 (BBb) silver 4pv front compensating. Bought in 2002, will probably never sell unless if I find a better horn (not likely - it's wonderful and I love it!).

*Conn 112H (Bb/F/Gb/D) bass trombone. Bought 1992. My first instrument to own (no contrabass trombone available at that time) Was for sale for a while until I joined a Big Band.

*Salvationist Publishing & Supplies Ltd (later acquired by Boosey & Hawkes) G Bass trombone. Bought in 2002 since I wanted to try a "real" bass trombone (no valves! Long slide w/ extra handle). Amazing condition, especially for such an old horn.
Will be for sale as soon as I manage to get through my thick head that I won't have any band to play it in (no genuine brass bands around where I live).

*Couesnon baritone. Bought in 2000 from my old music school - the very instrument I learned to play on in the early 80's. Found in a storage room during a temp job and bought for sentimental reasons. Very playable. Not for sale.

*LaFleur 3/4 Eb tuba (Amati AEB211 stencil) 3pv raw brass. Found in the same storage room at the same moment as the Couesnon above. Bought it because it was in fine condition and offered to me cheap. Sold a couple of months later.

*Cerveny alto trumpet (Eb), 3rv. Bought in 2000, mostly to test ebay... Restored and for sale.

*Unmarked Eb alto horn, 3rv side action ("sandwich" style horn). Bought 2001, restored.

*Stowasser Bb bass trumpet or tenor horn 3rv sa "sandwich". Bought 2001, looks great but not really playable right now.

I really got to stop buying all the interesting instruments I come upon, or sell more of those I already own.
Or at least try to sell them with a profit, like the professional dealers do...

Follow Ups: