Re: More freshman tuba questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on November 10, 2003 at 15:54:43:

In Reply to: More freshman tuba questions posted by Debbie on November 10, 2003 at 13:26:04:

As the first to folks have said, taking his horn to rehearsals is almost a neccesity. It will help make the transition time much less. I'm glad you are so supportive of his music making.

When he is old enough to drive himself, I recommend getting him a used Minivan, Station Wagon, or if you feel the need to give him something a little less "dorky" a VW GTI or the like.

In high school I drove a 1985 Plymouth Voyager. I made it as cool as possible (it had running boards, the cool hubcaps, CD player {1991 were talking}, tinted windows, pimped out faux fur seat cvers, etc.) but it was a very cool vehicle to have after I got over the initial bout of being a 16 yo minivan owner. This allow him to easily get the horn in and out of a vehicle with enough room and eash for any type of case and carry (a) passenger(s).

FWIW, I was carrying a bass trombone, tuba, friends, other assorted instruments, etc. all the time. I was busy in HS, playing in all of the school stuff, and all of the honors stuff too. On top of that was the local youth orchestra, getting paid to play at a church every weekend and a lot of other engagements. The most important tool I owned after my tuba and my tenor and bass trombones was that '85 minivan.

Having a nice big vehicle also allows you to have a semi-secure place to stow your instrument when not in use and the facilities do not allow it. That is why I also put a car alarm on my minian...

May my minivan rest in peace...

Godd luck to your son and we hope that he excels in all of his endeavors.

Matt G

ps. I have owned three Golfs since, 2 of 'em GTI's and they do nicely to carry a lot of stuff.

Follow Ups: