Re: Re: If you only had $6500 or so to spend...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scott Norberg on November 09, 2003 at 14:47:36:

In Reply to: Re: If you only had $6500 or so to spend... posted by Winton on November 09, 2003 at 13:46:31:

I forgot to say that I've already purchased a used Meinl-Weston 45 SLP. The low register isn't as open as the Yamaha F's, but with some work the low register can sound like the rest of the instrument. That's something I could never do with the 822 I had access to while getting my undergrad degree. Despite its openness in the low register I never felt like the sound of the 822's low register matched up with the rest of the instrument. I thought about the Gronitz, but it's out of my price range. If I had the money I'd get a 5/4 Rudy Meinl, but I don't.

I appreciate your response, but I want to clarify that I'm not looking for suggestions for horns for me to look at. I'm merely curious as to why people think a contrabass tuba is more appropriate for a one and only tuba (like the first person who responded to my original post) when it seems that a bass tuba might be more appropriate for some.

Scott

Follow Ups: