Re: Re: On the cheap

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by C(G) on November 02, 2003 at 12:26:52:

In Reply to: Re: On the cheap posted by pfft on November 02, 2003 at 10:45:41:

You know, Dale, some (probably a fair portion) of us have lives and work outside of the tuba and have no interest in putting in the hours and hours of hard work to be good enough to play stuff that will never present itself to us. We play for fulfillment and enjoyment.

In life, there's a fine line between obsession and love. One of the secrets to a happy life is know the difference. Love brings joy; often obsession brings worry and misery.

Just because I own a good chainsaw doesn't mean that I should be out in the woods 12 hours a day felling timber. It is often prudent to buy the best tools you can afford, whether we're talking about shoes or a kitchen knife. Same with tubas. I may not cook like Julia Child, but I can use the same utensils she does because I can appreciate the quality.

My big concern as an amateur is "am I playing too much?". In other words, am I turning this music thing into an obsession; are there other things in life that can share the time that will also bring joy?

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got brass band tonight and need to put some time in on the horn...

Follow Ups: