Re: Re: Re: Re-writing music

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on November 02, 2002 at 10:14:43:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re-writing music posted by Steve Marcus on November 02, 2002 at 07:47:00:

Steve

You are supposed to be rather proficient on keyboards and in general use of computers. I was neither back in the late summer of 1991, when I acquired a Mac SE 30, Finale, and some text application now long obsolete.

Within a month I had made several small scores, a large band score plus, in another context, written, edited, lay-out'ed, stapled, and personally distributed a 12 page paper for a local organisation.

Finale came with, and I guess still comes with, a superb series of tutorials. Back then in a book. Probably on-screen now. As is of course the .pdf based help function.

I followed the first 4 or 5 exercises, and then I went on my own. Of course I had to return to the reference books now and then. I also talked with Copenhagen pros using Finale. When I much later entered the net, I learned of a wonderful Finale list, which is backed by a very helpful community of composers, arrangers, editors, and more or less qualified amateurs like myself.

One thing, that really helped me, was the template, that a German editor made available to all of us. One fault of "Finale" is, that it supposes its users to make use of the variability of its parameters to create a "house" style. Whereas another equally expensive application comes with an almost acceptable style, that hardly can be changed.

Finale also needs some regularity in work. If I have been off for months, I have to hammer off a bit of rust. but i guess, that it is so with all demanding work.

I know that a few of you, with whom I have worked together over the last 3 years, can see a development in my "Finale" style. Largely a result of my following the Finale group during the same period.

Some of my arrangements, very centred on the euph and the tuba can be seen at and downloaded for free from the site linked to below. You will need an approval to join that Yahoo group. Anyone with a well established "screen" identity known to me is approved right away. People unknown to me are very welcome, but they have to send the list owner (who is me also) a mail telling of his/hers full name and the ensembles he/she plays in.

Steve is there and I can't play the piano well yet. "L" just joined and you as welcome as everybody else!

Klaus

Follow Ups: