Re: Re: Repair Questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom B. on November 24, 2001 at 22:28:51:

In Reply to: Re: Repair Questions posted by js on November 24, 2001 at 21:54:15:

There was no way I was going to buy a $3,000 plating job! In case my first post didn't make it clear enough, I was a bit skeptical about having to fix the raw brass patches asap. If fact, I challenged them by asking why people have the finish taken off on purpose if it is so "bad" for the horn. They said that people have the perception that if it looks different it must play differently (darker??). Some of the nicest horns I have played have been raw brass for most of their useful life, so I'm not so sure that I believe in their argument that raw brass must be "taken care of."

I probably will have them redo my felts and corks, solder one of my broken braces, and pull out some of the little dings, but I don't think I'll have them touch the finish at all. Probably will go for a chem clean though.

Honestly, the raw brass patches don't bother me. If they did, I wouldn't have purchased the horn in the first place.

Follow Ups: