Bohn & Meinl Sousaphone - Any Info?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Kinsel on November 21, 2001 at 22:16:16:

Well, I don't know why, but I just bought a Bohm & Meinl sousaphone on Ebay. When I saw the pictures, I knew I had to have it. Irrational, huh?

Anyway, I can find no information about this instrument anywhere. It's a smaller sousaphone, all brass. I can find no serial number on it, but I might not be looking in the right places. The outside of the bell says "BOHM MEINL" with a little bit of scroll work, and that's it. The horn appears to be at least 30 years old, but it was bought used by the previous owner, so any provenance is lost.

Does anyone have any information about B&M sousas? I'd love to know what I have here.

BTW: It has minor dents and dings, one missing bell retaining bolt, and one broken bracket. I cleaned and oiled the valves and they are working well. The horn is really easy to play, is relatively loud for its size, and has a pretty good range. It's a blast to play (no pun intended... Well, maybe intended a little.) I paid around $500 with hard case. Also, I'm using a Bach 24AW mouthpiece that sounds and plays pretty well. If anyone has a suggestion as to a different mouthpiece, I'd love to hear about it.

Follow Ups: