Re: irked about parents

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom Mason on November 19, 2001 at 16:11:28:

In Reply to: irked about parents posted by Julie on November 16, 2001 at 23:28:15:

There are a lot of good comments on this thread. Like some others who have commented, I too would hope that the need to look at materialistic gain could be lessened by the realization that there are more important things in life.

I went through all of high school and 2 years of undergraduate school before owning my first professional grade instrument. In the years since, I have fallen into the trap of looking for the perfect/better horn. My parents were unable to buy the instruments I needed, and I knew it. For a while, I would think wrongly of students who's parents would throw out $XXXX.XX's for whatever the kid wanted. (not needed).

As a parent now, I am looking at the game from the other end. My children will someday want to play in band. They will either play something I already have, or depend on the school. I depended on the school, and I survived the experience.

With understanding in my heart, please see that parents will always want to give their children the best that they can. My parents try to give to my brother and me, even though we are in our 30's. Accept what they can give, while they are still here to give.

Tom

Follow Ups: