UPS Shipping/Insurance Follow-up

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Erik on November 18, 2001 at 16:09:38:

Well, the thread a little while ago regarding all the problems with shipping UPS got me curious as to what exactly you have to do to receive a claim on a damaged package. Looking at their website, the section about making claims says that the contents must be properly packaged and cushioned. When I read this, it seemed like a Catch-22--they could simply claim that if it was damaged it wasn't properly cushioned, and you would see no money. So I sent them an email asking specifically what kind of packaging and cushioning would be deemed "adequate" (or whatever their word was) to ship a tuba. Through the course of this initial emails and replying to their answers twice (for a total of three messages), I got nothing but vague answers. They referenced me to their packing guidelines page. Finally, in the last response they said that if that page didn't have enough info, I should go to an authorized shipping outlet, such as Mailboxes, etc., and they could provide more info.

So, given the fact that they have not been very good at honoring what seem to be reasonable claims, and that they refuse to specify what is adequate packaging, I would expect UPS to give any money if a tuba is damaged in shipment, even if the package is insured.

Erik

Follow Ups: