Re: irked about parents

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric on November 17, 2001 at 02:36:02:

In Reply to: irked about parents posted by Julie on November 16, 2001 at 23:28:15:

Guys, parents buying their kids horns is not a bad thing. Even if the kid sucks, it is still not a bad thing. I have had a Mirafone 186, a MW 45slp and my Hirsbrunner bought for me, and that does not mean I love it less (in fact more) or play it at any lower a calibur than someone who worked for the horn. I mean, I love music, and I feel that it's an honor to be able to give the gift of music to anyone on ANY instrument, regardless of brand or expense, or who gave it to me, so I find it to be even more of a privilege when someone BUYS you a horn.

Furthermore, USA is a society of CAPITALISM. Talk to some musicians in the former Warsaw Block region...ask them how their horns were. When horns are "equally and evenly distributed amongst the poeple" the result is a poorer quality horn. Personally if some rich mother wants to buy a kid a horn that wil help funding toward that NEW model horn, I"m all for it. And it she or someone in her family has earned the money, than so be it. It's like the old addage, IF you would spend as much energy.... in this case "if you would spend as much energy working for that tuba and making music as you have on wracking you brain as to someone else's family situation (which BTW is not your business) then you would have bettered yourself instead of making no progress.

*steps off soapbox*

eo

Follow Ups: