Re: irked about parents

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Hahs on November 17, 2001 at 01:52:22:

In Reply to: irked about parents posted by Julie on November 16, 2001 at 23:28:15:

My parents bought me my first tuba in high school, a Cerveny CC piggy. They are typical middle class, and really didn't need that expense. I didn't expect it or ask for it, they wanted to do it for me. I worked hard in High School, and I wanted to be a music major in college. They figured it would help me go to "the next level," which it did. Did I throw it around? NO WAY. I babied that horn to no end. I not only appreciated that I had a great horn, but that I had parents that loved me and believed in me enough to buy me my own horn and invest in my future. I did have a summer job, but they knew I was saving for a car and insurance money since I was small kid. They wanted to see me get a nice car, and pay for my own insurance, which of course all is a luxury. The tuba was part of my education.

I'm in my third year of college now, and have had the horn for about six years. It has helped me become principal of Wind Ensemble this semester as well as accomplish other things I never imagined possible.

I just purchased a Meinl Weston 2155s through my own student loan. It's a wonderful horn, and I hope that it will take me to another level like my piggy. But will I ever sell my piggy or make it into "scrap metal"? NO WAY. That horn could never be replaced in any way possible.

So, maybe his parents want him to have direction, or something to have pride in. If they have the money great. They have every right to buy him a tuba. Did my parents have the money to throw into a tuba? No. But they still bought me a tuba. So before everyone starts saying "spoiled brats" or starts ripping into people that were given a horn, remember...some people do things out of the love and goodness of their hearts. Some parents want to see their kids have things they never did, and see them accomplish things they never dreamed of.

Jay Hahs
Crane School of Music

Follow Ups: