Re: "starter" tuba mouthpiece

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jlb on November 07, 2001 at 12:55:26:

In Reply to: "starter" tuba mouthpiece posted by Graham Smith on November 07, 2001 at 11:36:23:

If I recall correctly, the Mirafone supplied mouthpiece will be more 'cup shaped'. Given that, I would first go to a 'funnel shaped' mouthpiece, like the Conn Helleberg or equivalent, to get an idea about how I would feel about one of the (IMHO) major differences in mouthpieces. If you detect a major difference, for you, then you can look at different directions within that style, e.g., different size, different rim, different throat, etc. If you're coming back after not playing for a long time, it may be a while before your chops are good enough to detect small differences.

I personally play a Mirafone 183 eefer (in a community band setting). I went through the original Mirafone mp, a Conn #2 I had, Bach 18 & 24AW, and Conn Hellberg & Helleberg 7B. I finally wound up using a Dillon S 3 (Pat Sheridan design?), which interfaces my chops to my horn most excellently. I often wish I could play as well as the horn does. 8^)

Good luck with your new horn, and good luck to your son, also.

jlb

Follow Ups: