School-related logistical problem

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Erik on November 05, 2001 at 20:54:09:

Ok, here's the deal: I go to school on the east coast, and with me I have my nice 6 month old Rudy piston (highly recommended). However, my home is in Chicago, and so times like winter and summer break pose me with a problem. I don't really want to fly with my tuba, but if that is the only option and it is safe (for the horn), then I will certainly consider it. I can't drive back (at least not for winter break), and so getting the horn home that way isn't really an option. What it looks like to me is that the only real solution is to buy a second tuba and keep it at home. But with the budget of a college student, this is not optimal either. However, I am considering it, and would like some input. If I were to go this route, do you think it would make more sense to get a cheap bass tuba or a cheap contrabass (when I say cheap, I mean a used horn that would be no more than $2500)? I don't see myself bringing two horns to school anytime soon, so it would likely stay at home, and therefore the performance aspects of the horn wouldn't matter too much. Basically I would be looking for something that I could use to keep my chops in shape and satisfy my urge to play. So, after that long winded speil, any ideas with regards to horns or other logistical solutions?

All input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Erik

Follow Ups: