Re: Second-guessing myself...(long)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by learning from experience on November 03, 2001 at 09:07:48:

In Reply to: Second-guessing myself...(long) posted by Ted on November 01, 2001 at 23:33:25:

Ted,
I went through a very similar situation recently. DON't worry what others think or say about your teacher. If he/she works well for you, that is what counts! I am in a similar situation. I have a young teacher, who happens to have a real gift for teaching the way I need to be taught. He is not in any orchestra right now, but has as much talent as anyone who is from what I see and hear. My school is not the mecca of tuba-performing oriented people, but I find I get just what I need from it, because of my teacher. Sure there are downfalls, and I am not where I want to be as far as ensemble-wise, etc., but my teacher alone makes the hard times worth it and somehow helps me through. For example, I am labeled as one of the "last chair" tuba players, yet I am the only person to my knowledge in the studio that is taking the time and effort to record competition material. This is because of the way my teacher has believed in me and encouraged me. In any other situation I would never have come this far.
Don't pay attention to opinions that don't matter anyway, you are the one whose opinion makes the difference. If you are satisfied with your professor, stay put. In the end you won't regret it!

Follow Ups: