Re: Re: Re: polka books

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on November 02, 2001 at 17:26:06:

In Reply to: Re: Re: polka books posted by Dan Schultz on November 02, 2001 at 13:20:10:

I might have been unclear in making my point, so I will give it one more try:

The arrangements (sets of books), from which the 2 Flugels/Tenorhorn/Horn (or trombone)/Tuba 5-tet, the Trumpet/A+T Saxes/Accordion/Bass Guitar 5-tet, and the 25+ piece WW and Brass band are playing, are the same.

The point is the modular system, that secures this:

a 3 part "thick" melody line, when 2 Flugels+1st Tenorhorn parts or the Trumpet + Alto and Tenor Sax parts are covered. The Bariton (euph) part will furtherly thicken this line, but not make it a true 4 part line.

an outlining of the background rhytm, when one horn (one trombone) or the accordion part is covered. Covering the full horn, trombone and/or tenorhorns sections will fill out the comp harmony. But basically no new musical elements are introduced. Except of course for the trombone solos/duets being played by trombones (these solos/duets are allways cued in the 1st Tenorhorn and Bariton parts and the musical progression will always survive, even if the 2nd duet part is not played).

a bass line if the Tuba or String Bass part is covered. The colour/octave of this line can be modified through the choice of the 1st or the 2nd tuba part and through the addition of a bass bone or of more tubas. But the harmonic and melodic content will stay the same. A highly pro Dutch conductor, that I played for, preferred the lone F tuba playing the upper octave. An equally pro Danish conductor preferred the same tuba playing the lower octave. My preferrence is an F plus BBb setup with the F holding back on the dynamics.

The larger German bands then have these "add ons":

a smaller or larger clarinet section, not exceeding 3 part lines. The inclusion of flutes/piccolo will add colour, but nothing harmonically. We all know the characteristic "Tyrolean" broken triads in the clarinets. The odd thing is, that the German polka bands will still sound as well "German" as "polka", even if there are no woodwinds in the band. Because the WW section mostly plays in octaves with the 2 Flugels+1st Tenorhorn three part melody line.

a heroic 1, 2, or 3 part Trumpet line doing a lot of fanfares. Again the trumpets mostly play in unisono with the 2 Flugels+1st Tenorhorn three part melody line. I have played all Flugel and Trumpet parts. The one part, I hated, was the 3rd trumpet part. Playing in "unisono" with a 1st tenorhorn consequently being flat on middle C is no fun for a trumpet player.

I might have made a fault in mixing up the "German Band" and the "Polka Band" terms. But over here, these terms are very close to being identical. The original poster and I happen to be corresponding privately. So you will hardly suddeed in any wedging in between.

Regarding the break you want to be given: is there any obligation for you to read my postings? For my part, there most certainly are threads and posters, that I skip by default.

Klaus

Follow Ups: