Re: Re: Re: Tubists playing Euph.....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay on November 26, 2000 at 22:40:17:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Tubists playing Euph..... posted by Joe S. on November 26, 2000 at 21:01:29:

1. Mark Fisher is a world class Euphonium player. Although producing a CD does not automatically make one a professional artist, his CD "Euphish" can be purchased through such places as Bernel music. He started playing Euphonium at a young age. He is a professor of Trombone at Northwestern University, which your being a tubist, I'm sure is a familiar name.

2. Michael Mulcahy is another world class Euphonium artist. It would be wrong of me to begin mentioning his accolades of the seemingly distant past in the world of British Brass Band Euphonium playing. I do not personally know of the contests he won, and it would be most unprofessional of me to pass along "heresay." I can say, however, that he currently plays Trombone with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra (2nd Trombone I believe). I am certain that this is an orchestra who's name you know (Arnold Jacobs anybody?) as well as a name that your professional "friends" would know.

3. Mark Fisher and Michael Mulcahy were both well known for their Euphonium skills before their trombone skills. If you do not know either of these professionals, I can understand why you and your "friends" just "don't get it." Although if I had "friends" who were professional trombonists, and they did not know of the personnel from the CSO (for the record, a world class orchestra) or Northwestern University (a world class brass university), I would be extremely hard-pressed to put their advice or opinions in print.

4. The reason for dropping the "master class" line was because I (wrongly) believed you to be a college student by nature and content of your post.

5. Orchestral conductors believe that the term "baritone horn" is an albatross that hangs around the neck of the instrument. Their preference for the term "tenor tuba" is used for cosmetic reasons. Among other people, It was Richard Strauss's fondness of the sound produced by the Euphonium (his father was a famous horn player) that lead to the widely used European term "tenor tuba."

6. In what organization do you play professionally?

7. What works have you played on the horn when "paid to do so?"

8. In the score of such works, what is the term used in the score?

9. Are the composers of those works reputable in your professional opinion?

My intent was not to enrage, only to play "devil's advocate." If I have offended anyone, I offer my most humble apologies.

Follow Ups: