Attachment to tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by SD on November 21, 2000 at 14:31:44:

Hello All,

I was just browsing throught the web pages of some of the used instrument dealers and I started thinking about my old tuba that I sold a couple of summers ago. While not the best tuba in the world it played quite well and I enjoyed it because it was the first horn I bought by myself. It was a used Yamaha YBB321 that was from the late sixties I believe. I bought it from a very kind old man that could not play it anymore due to health problems. He gave a really good deal and every time he would see me use it he would come and talk to me. It truly was a special situation that I remember fondly.

Well, a few summers ago after I graduated from college I got my first teaching job. I would not have access to a computer so I decided to buy a computer. I needed money to help the purchase so I sold my tuba. I did not play it much, so I thought it was a good idea. I made a decent amount on the instrument and was able to buy the computer that I needed.

After a couple of years without the horn I find myself wondering if any one else ever becomes attached to instruments that they own. I will be needing to buy another tuba within the next couple of years to compliment my F. I could not ever imagine selling that horn to buy another. Do any of you keep instruments just because you feel like they are a part of your playing? Or is this just me? Happy Thanksgiving!

Sean

Follow Ups: