Re: Monday morning mouthpiece controversy

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by James W on November 20, 2000 at 17:26:58:

In Reply to: Monday morning mouthpiece controversy posted by 2bahplyr on November 20, 2000 at 09:43:06:

The mouthpiece makes a phenominal difference to your sound - a bass bone mouthpiece will fit in a tuba receiver but I wouldn't want to play on one. Every component of the mouthpiece affects your sound - the rim makes a major difference, narrow rims give more flexibility (both high and low extremes) than wide ones, and sharper inner edges make a world of difference to the attack on notes, but tend to secrifice endurance. A small cup diamiter will aid your high range at the expense of low notes, and a wide cup will have the opposite effect. A shallow mouthpiece sounds brighter, a deep one darker, similar effects from wide/narrow throats, but the throat size also seems to affect the intonation a lot, as with the backbore (I think thats about as much as I can pack in to a reasonably concise message). As for swapping for different horns, I use the same mouthpiece for all tubas, because I have never found another that I like more, although I used to swap before I found this one. I still use a different mouthpiece for playing trombone in a funk/soul band as the top notes are hard on my tuba mouthpiece ;-)

Did I miss anything out?

James.

Follow Ups: