Monday morning mouthpiece controversy

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by 2bahplyr on November 20, 2000 at 09:43:06:

Morning, one and all. A bone player and I got into a friendly bruha at band practice yesterday over the following: does switching to a new mouthpiece really improve your playing? I know personally I tried switching from my Bach 18 to a Schilke 67 years ago when I got into a Dixieland band. I had heard wonderous things about the thinner rim and more "German" sound I'd get from the Schilke. The horn was a huge old Martin, by the way, one of those monsters it takes two men and a boy to lift. I loved the Schilke- at first. As time went on, I began to wonder if I wasn't sacrificing low end, centered tone, etc. because of my switch. Maybe it's psychological, but I eventually went back to my Bach and have played it since.
A long-winded way of asking- does the difference in rim size, throat size, etc.effect the player when changing mouthpieces? Is there a steadfast rule about rimsize and endurance, tone, etc? Different rims for different sized horns? Let's hear from you players who've been there! Thanks for the imput.

Follow Ups: