How to: Email an information request.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt Walters on November 16, 2000 at 23:35:32:

I'd like to vent just a little. High brass are worse at this than low brass, but you guys might listen. So here goes. Don't be so arrogant as to assume people automatically know what you are writing about. Please provide the answers to the questions that save everyone time and money. (Hey, this is middle school stuff.)

WHO? I'd sure like to know your name. If I hear and/or read it enough times, even dumb old me will start to remember.

What? What can I do for you? What item do you need and for...WHAT KIND of INSTRUMENT?! Trumpeters especially seem to think the only instrument out there is a trumpet.

Where? How much is the shipping? Yes, I once gave a general quote and when the check arrived the customer was from Alaska. Okay, that mute didn't go out that day.

When? Do you need next day air shipping? If you are buying a used horn soon, lets talk about specific horns I have right now. If it's next year you are talking about, lets talk about good used horn to keep an eye out for. Do you want your tuba overhauled over Thanksgiving weekend? Forget it. I'll be with family and friends. If you are going to be in town whenever and want something fixed, please tell me what dates are available for you. If I can squeeze you in, I will.

Why? Okay, this one can be your own business. But if you tell be what you are looking for and the RESULTS you want (why), I might know of something you'll like better. You want the 4 piece folding Hamilton stand because it will fit in your gig bag, but you wish it were lighter? Yamaha has a light weight Aluminium one, that folds up just as short. It's a lot more expensive, but a music stand will last most people 10 years or so.

Also, when a merchant asks for additional info, remind them of the important details. Yes, I have gotten reply E-mails like: "Yeah, a Bach ML" Okay, I gather they were talking about a Bach trumpet with a Medium Large bore. But WHAT?! 24 hours, 40 phone calls, several walk-in customers, 20 plus other E-mails and staying late to finish an emergency repair for tomorrow has passed. I forgot what the original question was. Please help myself and other merchants help you.

How? Can I get directions? Well, how are you getting here? By train, bus, or car? How do you want to pay for your new tuba. "We don't take American Express."

i.e.
Hello, I am Jane Doe from somewhere. I need a widget for my Brand instrument, model xyz plus any extra info that will help. The finish is important. How much will it run me and can I get it shipped to me by whenever? or How do I get from where I live to your store by car, etc.

Okay gang, thank you letting me vent. Yes, it has been a bad week of E-mail tag. Thank goodness for the fun to hang with customers like today was.

Follow Ups: