Re: BIG mouthpieces

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Marty Neilan on November 10, 2000 at 12:33:45:

In Reply to: BIG mouthpieces posted by James W on November 10, 2000 at 10:49:12:

Check the archives, there is a lot of discussion on this. I personally am of the belief that added weight, within reason, can be beneficial towards achieving certain objectives, if those objectives are actually needed in your situation or on your horn. I got to test this again several weeks ago. I found that, in this particular situation, a heavier mouthpiece seemed to 'solidify' the sound and prevent premature breaking up of the tone as oppossed to a similar standard weight mouthpiece on a horn known to be able to be overblown (older Mirafone 186). The claim was verified by two trumpet players (but what do they know, anyway :) A considerably heavier tuba may not necessarily benefit from this and it may in fact be detrimental.

I guess that was a fairly politically correct answer, please no jokes on the use of the word premature.

Marty 'Thinks that Rick Denney is going to demand a recount for most popular mouthpiece of all time election' Neilan

Follow Ups: