Re: starting a new student

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on November 08, 2000 at 14:58:07:

In Reply to: starting a new student posted by Matt Green on November 08, 2000 at 13:46:24:

I'm not a music educator, but I am the parent of two kids who were started in private lessons in the sixth grade by VERY different teachers. My daughter's french horn teacher started her with lots of etudes, emphasis on scales, etc. She has never developed, because playing is no fun for her. My son's trombone teacher (that would be - er - me!) emphasizes making music. We spend time on long tones and a few scales, but we spend a lot of time playing familiar tunes. He is learning to listen, to get around on his instrument (no mean feat for a triggerless trombone), and to make a good tone. By playing a lot of tunes, he sightreads unusually well for a beginner. By playing simple melodies while I play harmonies, he is learning to hear harmonies. He's even starting to be able to pick out tunes by ear. He loves to practice, and has improved more in three months than my daughter did in her first two years!

There may be a few unusually serious 6th graders who will want to work at etudes and scales, but not many. Bottom line, gauge how serious the student is, and keep it FUN. That's what keeps ME playing!

Follow Ups: