Lester Bowie

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck Jackson on November 16, 1999 at 17:39:24:

I understand that the eclectic trumpet player and great friend of the tuba, Lester Bowie passed away last thursday. If you are not fimiliar with his work with either his Brass Fantasy or the Art Ensemble of Chicago, you are missing one of the most interesting voices of our times. His playing is an aquired taste, I personally loves how he turns the trumpet into a voice. Bob Stewart has been playing tuba with Brass Fantasy since it's inception. Bob is a dyed-in-the-wool monster on tuba. His playing speaks for itself. I will miss new and interesting things from Bowie.His music is a breath of fresh air in this age of ersatz jazz (ala Kenny G). Before anyone goes off on the jazz scene being more than that, I am well aware of that and support the new Jazz Giants. But the American public seems to think that Kenny G represents jazz at an elevated level, when most people know he is simply only elevator music. Thanks for reading this rambling epitath, but lester Bowie needs to be heard to be believed.

Follow Ups: