Re: Schilke Heleberg II

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Roger Lewis on November 02, 1999 at 22:39:09:

In Reply to: Schilke Heleberg II posted by Todd on November 02, 1999 at 16:44:24:

When we began to work with the machine shop on developing the heavywall version R&S mouthpieces we were gauranteed a tollerance of 0.0001 of an inch because of the profiling system they were using and the quality of the machines that would be used to make them.
I personally played both mouthpieces side-by-side at the machine shop on my Yorkbrunner and the difference to both myself and Sue was instantly noticeable. I only had to play two notes on the heavywall unit to notice a complete change in sensation and sound production. The machinists were hanging around, having never seen or heard anything like this before, and one of them stated that he could tell the difference between the two from outside the room. The heavywall version made the floor shake more than the other.
As to sensation, the first thing I noticed was that there was less sympathetic vibration in the mouthpiece and hence it felt more stable on the embrochure. When I switch back and forth between them (read, left it in my other case)the other members of the orchestra can tell the difference without even looking to see what I'm playing.
Granted, it is not the magic bullet, but I find that it does make a substantial difference in the feel and sound quality. I had played the original Schilke Heleberg II for 10 years before this was finally developed and I love how it plays on both the York and my Cerveny "piggy". Your mileage may vary.
If you do order opne, remember, the Brasswind has a two week (I think) trial period and if you aren't 100% satisfied you can always send it back for a refund.

I hope this helps answer some of your questions. I love it, the conductors I play for love it, and the sections I play in love it (but they have to work a little harder than they did in the past).

Roger

Follow Ups: