Re: Re: Re: vacuum releases - sticking valves

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Hopefully, if... on May 27, 2003 at 17:58:31:

In Reply to: Re: Re: vacuum releases - sticking valves posted by David on May 27, 2003 at 16:53:06:

...a horn gets damaged in a shop, the tech talls the customer, AND repairs it WELL for free. I once had a horn at a well-known shop for some valve work, pads and felts, etc. When it was brough out to me to play-test, I sat it on my lap, and noticed that the usual reflection in the throat of the bell looked now like a fun house mirror. I pointed it out to the tech, who said he would "work on it". I complained to the owner of the shop, and it turned out that the rim of the bell was hanging over the edge of the work table during the repair, with the tuba resting on the throat of the bell. The tech didn't do a very good job of rubbing out the resulting crease in the throat of the bell. He spent more time on it, it looked ok (lacquer was permanently damaged), and the owner of the shop cancelled my $200 bill for the original repair. I would have appreciated it, however, if the tech had just come clean and told me what he had done. I lost a lot of confidence in the shop that day.

Follow Ups: