Re: Re: A bore-ing question.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steven on May 23, 2003 at 15:29:12:

In Reply to: Re: A bore-ing question. posted by K on May 23, 2003 at 13:03:19:

Hi, Everyone;
Thanks for the advice, and for the advice of those who e-mailed me privately.
I should probably clarify my situation;
I presently do not have an instrument, and I am a rank beginner.
After asking advice on this Forum and asking the advice of our local brass repairman, I've been shopping for horns.
I've found a big bore EEb helicon that I'd like to learn to play.
I can't go see the horn for a few months - when I'll be in that particular City.
Since I'm a beginner, I'd like to at least learn some fingerings and learn how to make some sounds before I go to try out the EEb horn.
I can get that Eb sousaphone for probably under $150 - and then I just have to carry it home! There's also a larger bore Eb sousaphone at the shop, but the receiver for the lead pipe is broken off. It's also a garish yellow brass, which makes me think it's lesser quality. THAT one is marked - "Beare & Sons, Toronto & New York".
I received some advice privately about buying an inexpensive Eb tuba from Lee Stofer, except that with shipping it'll probably bring the cost up to where I'd just rather wait until I go look at the EEb! ;)
Should I just wait until I go look at the EEb, check it out as best I can, and then learn how to play that, or should I learn the fingering on that inexpensive small bore Eb sousaphone, which is hardly an investment at all?
Extremely Appreciatively,
Steven

Follow Ups: