Re: a dumb post here

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris Horsch on May 23, 2003 at 12:08:50:

In Reply to: a dumb post here posted by js on May 23, 2003 at 02:34:19:

I attended Mike Roylance's recital at DePaul on May 12, having learned about it here and being very pleased to be able to listen to and watch a world-class player, for free, in a fairly small, but accoustically good, setting. The experience was excellent and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I am not qualified to offer a detailed critique, but he is obviously a very versatile and capable young player. I thought his articulation, particularly early on, was not great (nerves?) and he played the entire VW concerto at ff - although the accompaniment was arranged for trombone choir and maybe you instinctively stay at ff with 8 dueling trombones in your right ear.

I was hoping to find some criticism here, not fault-finding, but reviews of merit. The recital was very well attended and, I assume, by at least some well-qualified to review it and comment. I didn't notice any comment here, even the unmeaningful kind that Joe describes. I'm not sure why. I can also do without the review that dwells on "texture" and "subtle nuance," but I think I could have learned something about tuba playing and listening by reading what some trained ears thought. I think that can be effectively done without violating "If you can't say something nice,..."

Follow Ups: