Re: Re: From Today's NYTimes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TubaRay on May 15, 2003 at 10:25:23:

In Reply to: Re: From Today's NYTimes posted by Dick Gephardt on May 14, 2003 at 22:12:09:

Although I am very tempted to join in this discussion, I don't believe this is an appropriate forum for the political discussion we have digressed to. I believe each member of this group should let their political convictions motivate them to vote for whomever they feel is best. They should carefully study ALL the issues and condidates and vote for the best candidate. Our discussions here should be more about how to react as concerned fellow musicians(even if we are not full-time pros). In other words, here is the landscape we have to deal with, now how and what do we do.

I have some very strong political views. I believe many of the societal problems we have come from a particular political view having been implemented. I am not happy with what that thinking has done. My responsibility is to vote for the candidates who I believe best represent my thinking and to attempt to deal with things as they are. I can attempt to influence others by using reason in my discussions, etc. These are all entirely appropriate. I don't, however, feel that this forum is one in which we should get into a political debate. This will probably result in dividing us, when we have so much in common. If any of you actually care what my political views are, email me. I'll be glad to tell you if I am conservative, liberal, moderate, whatever. Let's not argue about whether Bush is the best or worst president we have ever had. (Personally, I don't think he is either.) Let's continue to use this forum as a place to discuss what many of us have a passion for--music(and the tuba or euphonium). This is why I keep coming back to read and post on the TubeNet. If I want to have a political discussion, I would prefer to have those with my friends and others whom I know well enough not to harbor ill feeling toward.

That's my 2 cents worth(actually .9 cents, after taxes)!

Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters

Follow Ups: