Re: Teachers vs. Students and Schooling

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dean on May 13, 2003 at 21:43:22:

In Reply to: Teachers vs. Students and Schooling posted by serious question on May 13, 2003 at 21:29:53:

I think your questions are simply wrong. I understand your point, but I don't agree with your philosophy on what lessons are, nor the role of the lesson teacher.

Teachers do not "turn out" students, nor do they "create" great players. Teachers are a RESOURCE, to be tapped by studying musicians--a resource that is often made available via college and university teaching positions. The better teachers make better resources, therefore more aspiring players (the more serious ones) want to study with them. You are putting too much of the "action" involved in becoming a professional musician on the teacher--he/she is a guide--as in "The Matrix," as Morpheus said "I said I'd show you the door, you must walk through it."

I think more people need to think of universities, teachers, libraries, the Internet, television--just about anything, as a RESOURCE. The university nor the teacher has no obligation--ZERO--to MAKE you a better anything. That is up to you. The establishment need only give you the right tools to complete the job.

In short, people need to start taking an ACTIVE approach to their own education and advancement, and stop expecting teachers and universities to MAKE you successful...

Well, that's my poorly worded rant, enjoy :)

Follow Ups: