Re: Re: Re: Recording Bell tuba opinions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim Andrada on May 12, 2003 at 00:37:56:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Recording Bell tuba opinions posted by Frederick J. Young on May 11, 2003 at 21:15:13:

From this, since a "bell front" recording bell actually points quite a bit more upward than a sousaphone bell, would it be fair to say that the higher harmonics from a recording bell would tend to reflect/disperse at the audience from the ceiling, while the lower harmonics, which I think tend to be heard less directionally, tend to bounce from the floor?

Also, I think you can turn a recording bell "sideways" in which case it would be in about the same orientation as an "upright" bell horn held as most people tend to hold them.

And come to think of it, if the "upright bell" tuba player is sitting at the back of the pack and facing the audience, it would seem that a lot of the higher harmonics might never escape out toward the audience at all.

I also seem to recall that the bell shape of the "tall stack" (hyper-exponential?)German style horns and the bell shape of the American style (bi-radial?) would also play a role in how the various harmonics were propagated.

I have a tuba playing friend who's an antenna designer by day - maybe I'll try to suck him into this!

Follow Ups: