Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: F tuba research

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck Jackson on May 11, 2003 at 23:51:24:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: F tuba research posted by Matt Good on May 11, 2003 at 10:42:18:

In a word, ouch!!!! But reading Tim's post below makes me believe if you want it to work, you'll make it work. It does sound as if it is too much work to get to work, if you catch my drift. Any possiblities of posting some picks? It amazes me that people could make music on some of the horns they used. I knew a guy a while back, Tom McGrady, who had Kilton Vinal-Smiths old Czerveny F from his Boston days. How the guy ever played the horn was beyond me. I owned Chester Roberts Alexander BBb/CC tuba for 3 years back in the late 70's. The horn was awful on both sides as far as pitch was concerned, the valves probably weighed 5 lbs. each and the horn was HUGE, but it had a GREAT sound. Don Harry owns it. But then, he is Don, and could make a sewer pipe sound good. Interesting how making due with the equipment you had made a player who they were. Have to wonder how Helleberg would have sounded on some of the high tech stuff out there today. Thanks again. Have Peace.

Chuck

Follow Ups: