Re: How did you afford your horn?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John Edens on May 09, 2003 at 01:27:01:

In Reply to: How did you afford your horn? posted by Broke on May 08, 2003 at 18:31:43:

Two words: BUY USED.

Here's how I've done with used instruments so far.

My custom built (for someone else) electric guitar: $450 slightly used but perfect shap. The parts alone used to make the guitar would have cost me $1200. If it were marketed to the public, I am guessing it would cost around $1500 to $2000.

Olds Ambassador Trumpet: 50 bucks, used.

Bach Stradivarius 42C Convertible Trombone (about 15 years old) without trigger: $600, has a couple of dings in the bell but plays great with an amazing slide.

Thayer Valve (For the Bach)
never used but taken off of a trombone, therefore making it "not new": $300.

Yamaha YEP-842S Euphonium, bought VERY slightly used from Baltimore Brass Co. for $4000

Plus mouhtpieces, effects pedals (for guitar) and other goodies.

The only new musical equipment that I have bought has been my Monette mouthpiece and a couple of guitar effects.

I am 18 years old, in high school, and my only living is through giving private lessons on guitar, euph, tuba, and trombone. With the pittance that I charge, I can assure you that it isn't a lot of income. Except for the euphonium (My parents said, "car or horn?" and I said, "horn." ) I paid for all of the above items. If I can do it, so can you, I bet.

-John Edens

Follow Ups: