Re: Eflat tuba problem

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on May 08, 2003 at 11:12:54:

In Reply to: Eflat tuba problem posted by Big Ben B. on May 08, 2003 at 10:58:14:

Check your water-key corks first.

If you have a tuning slide downstream from the valves, pull it out and blow into the mouthpiece. Using a cork or your thumb if you are a good contortionist, plug the tube that air comes out of when you blow. This will seal up the valve portion of the instrument. Then blow into the horn. You'll hear air escaping here and there. Move your third hand around until you feel the breeze. If the air is escaping out the holes in the bottoms of the valve casings, then your valves are the source of the leak. If you push the valves down one at a time while you are blowing, you'll find any leaks in the valve branches.

If you hear leaks but can't find them, then use a rubber tube and submerge the isntrument in a tub full of water.

If your tuning slide is between the mouthpiece and the valves (as would be the case for many old Eb tubas), you can plug up the bell stack by inflating a balloon in it. I found a leak in a bell ferrule of my old Eb tuba using that trick. I felt the breeze on my leg, heh, heh.

Valve adjustment would not cause a leak unless they are massively out of adjustment.

Rick "who thinks an old small-shank Conn Helleberg 7B mouthpiece sounds about right" Denney

Follow Ups: