Re: Band vs. Orchestra

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Frank Gazda on May 07, 2003 at 07:54:35:

In Reply to: Band vs. Orchestra posted by Paul Averton on May 06, 2003 at 22:37:41:

Your teacher's information may be somewhat out of date. The thought process for a long time was "I'll win an orchestra job, but if I don't I'll settle for a military band". Up to maybe even 15 - 20 years ago this may have been accurate, these days, however things are very different.

There are so many great tuba players out there now, and so few orchestra jobs (the current spate of major openings is a once in a generation event) that the premier military band jobs are just as hotly contested as most orchestra jobs. The top orchestras do pay better much than the Military bands, but the band's salary is competitive (especially with some of the "perks") with most orchestra jobs.

The premier military bands are Pershing's Own US Army Band, the US Navy Band , the President's Own US Marine Band, the US Air Force Band (these bands are all based in Washington, DC), The US Army Field Band (Ft. Meade, Maryland), The US Coast Guard Band, and the 3 Service Academy Bands (Air Force, Naval Academy, West Point). When one of these bands has an audition you can bet that many great players (the same ones that will be at any orchestra audition) are there competeing for the job. These jobs are far from "easy" to win, these days.

Now, the line bands (stationed at the various Military bases throught the US and the world) are typically not as competitive to get into. They also don't pay as well and the overall quality is not as high (the Washington, DC bands are considered to be the best concert bands in the Country).

As for repertoire, the horn is on your face more in a band, but somewhere between some and most of your time in a band is spent with a sousaphone, depending on the band that you're in. There is more "down time" in an orchestra, but most players that I know would rather play Bruckner, Mahler, Prokofiev, and the other great classical composers occasionally than play marches all day. That, however is a matter of personal preference.

Finally, you can get into some of the line bands without a college degree, but to be competitive for orchestra or premier band jobs you will have to be at the top of the profession (imagine that you are the first chair tuba player in all state. Then remember that there are 50 states and every year those 50 players graduate and are replaced by 50 more players. Just considering these first chair players, there are 750 tuba players that still meet Military band age requirements, typically 33 years old or younger). So to be competitive you will probably have to go to a good music school and practice hours a day, every day. But that's a different thread.

If there are any (many?) inaccuracies in what I've posted maybe Sean, Jarrod, or one of the other Military players that are frequent posters can correct me.

Frank Gazda

Follow Ups: