Re: Re: Saving Orchestras

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Larry Zaidan on May 05, 2003 at 11:59:33:

In Reply to: Re: Saving Orchestras posted by why? on May 04, 2003 at 23:33:32:

I really don't think that it is productive to be arguing against high salaries for musicians...the rest of the world does that already. The thing that makes me mad is how big a discrepancy there is, between professional sports, and professional music. Not just in money, but public attitude.

When orchestras are organizing, they have to know that the professional musicians are indeed professionals, and should be paid a competative, professional wage.

The law of economics/competition is that the best paying orchestras are eventually (theoretically) going to have the best players, because the best players will seek out the jobs where they are appropriately compensated for all the hard work they have put into their instruments. Human nature.

So, if a city wants a really good orchestra, they need to expect to pay a competative wage. It is the job of the board to raise the money, and manage it wisely! I don't think that we should insist that the musicians, as professionals, should take a cut in salary, to make up for incompetant boards.

Follow Ups: