Re: Re: Re: When is it too big??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug Whitten on May 30, 2002 at 09:54:25:

In Reply to: Re: Re: When is it too big?? posted by DJC on May 30, 2002 at 08:44:30:

I also use the Dillon G3 and am quite happy with its sound on my Mirafone 186. On bigger horns, such as you have, I am not quite as happy with the results. Dillon's webpage says that the G3 works well on big horns, but it didn't for me.

Many people have had good results by pairing a big instrument with a smaller mouthpiece such as the Conn Helleberg 7B. Conversely, small horns are often "tamed" by using a big mouthpiece.

Don't laugh, but I had pretty good luck on my big horn using the Dillon F2b, which is intended as an F tuba mouthpiece. Try a few mouthpieces before you go out anf buy another horn.

As for intonation and air support... your large CC will definitely take more air to play. It is best to develop your air support by doing your daily warm-up routine on your big horn. When I got my first F tuba I played it exclusively for the few months prior to my recital. When I picked up my CC it felt sooooo big. I had trouble filling it up. Now I play everyday on CC which keeps the air supply happening.

My suggestion is to keep playing your CC tuba, you'll get used to it.

Follow Ups: