Re: Instrument insurance

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David on May 24, 2002 at 23:34:18:

In Reply to: Instrument insurance posted by Mary Ann on May 24, 2002 at 09:52:28:

You can join Chamber Music America and then get the insurance. Now you have to add the cost of the membership to the price of the insurance to get the actual cost of the insurance. Why not just get a good quality home owners or renters policy and attach an inland marine policy to it? That way you are covered for everything.

I switched my car, home, and instrument insurance to GEICO a couple of years ago and saved on everything. The cars cost half what they used to, the house is about half and I have $43,000 worth of musical instrument insurance (2 tubas, gig bags, mouthpieces, cases, 1 clarinet, 1 violin, bow and case, and 1 viola, bow, and case), replacement cost, for $216 a year and did not have to provide an appraisal or anything. They took my word for the values (and I used retail or more in every case.) I have had nothing but good luck with GEICO on any claim and luckily none on the instruments so far - knock on wood!!

With any musical instrument insurance, the questions to be answered are always the same. I have always been asked if I play in a club. As always, the answer is no, even if I do once in awhile. "Classical" musicians seem to have an easier time in getting insurance, so classify yourself that way.

Hope all who read about the insurance do the smart thing and buy some. It really makes no difference where, just get it. Considering what each of us has paid for the instruments, mouthpieces, gig bags, cases, and music, insurance is very, very cheap. It is only expensive if you don't have it and lose something, if you get my drift.

Follow Ups: