CSO Bone & Tuba CD

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brian Frederiksen on May 23, 2002 at 21:49:51:

In 1971 the Chicago Symphony Trombone and Tuba Section did a recording of excerpts and other material. This recording was the benchmark for ensemble playing for a generation of players. With due respect to the present day CSO section (and other great orchestra sections), This is probably the best section playing ever. Problem was there were only 2000 records pressed and, over the years this has been sought by other generations. A common question on this board has been "when will it be re-released?"

Well, today is the day. Verne Kalgarice has worked with Jay Friedman for the CD version. Verne has released it to the trombone world at ITA this week in Denton. I will be bringing it to ITEC next week for the tuba release. There was a slight printing error which delayed the final shipment. I got a call telling me to pick up the CDs - I was there within the hour!

First off, the master tapes were lost in the 70's so it was made from a never-played recording. It was mastered by the same person who did the Jacobs Portrait CD. It was pressed at the same place the Chicago Symphony uses for their "private" recordings. It contains everything on the original album - there was an additional 18 minutes recorded but this has not been found and is not on the CD. I listened to this twice on the way home. On the car stereo it sounded great, I can't wait to play it at home. All I wanted to do was get them!

Now, for a commercial message. I plan on bringing 150 to ITEC - if you're coming there, stop by and save paying postage. I am leaving Monday so the last I can send any out would be Saturday. Any orders that come in after Saturday morning will be sent out after ITEC.

Follow Ups: