Re: Question for the Professionally employed

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alan Herold on May 08, 2002 at 09:38:01:

In Reply to: Question for the Professionally employed posted by College Kid on May 08, 2002 at 00:13:58:

You don't have to have a "Big Job" to be a raging success in life, or this business. First off, there is nothing wrong with anyone who is holding any job and being a contributing member of society. Even someone in a dull, boring, or even grotesque job is someone who should be applauded. They are sacrificing for their family and bettering the situation for their family rather than holding out for the big job for themselves.

That being said, you have to be tenacious. You need to be determined and stay on course. Getting a gig in the military, at an amusement park, or at DQ (mmmm, blizzard) doesn't mean you've given up the big dream. You can't rest just because you're getting a check. I've been in a few auditions over the years, and I'd say 90% of the folks that are auditioning are college age. Why? They aren't already getting a paycheck. Once we get a gig, we get comfy with our checks and our lot in life.

I'm getting out of the Army band system now. I've been runner up or top five for the last few auditions I've been to. I've practiced, sometimes doggedly, but I freely admit that I've been comfortable in my new house, in my new truck, on my new Honda. I'm getting out to get hungry again. I got too comfy. Make a deal with yourself before you take a gig that you'll ALWAYS strive for greatness... and renew that pledge a couple times a year.

Follow Ups: