Re: Question for the Professionally employed

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenneth Sloan on May 08, 2002 at 01:12:45:

In Reply to: Question for the Professionally employed posted by College Kid on May 08, 2002 at 00:13:58:

Sorry, I don't have the job qualifications to give the advice you asked for...but I notice that your posting comes from Rochester, NY. I have a son enrolling at UofR next Fall and would love to pick your brains on the environment there.

If you're willing, please contact me by e-mail. Thanks.

Oh, what the hell - your questions can apply to *any* field, so I'll take a shot at them.

Yes, most people go through times when it all seems impossible. The stage you are at now (the better you get, the more annoyed you are with mistakes) is a common one. Every field has testing moments (although auditions for a very big job are a bit more intense in music, I think - mostly because it may seem that there are so few really good jobs).

I tell my students that if they don't like what they are doing NOW, they'll really hate the next stage. In my opinion, it's a mistake to concentrate on the goal - the important part is the journey, because the journey continues, even if you *do* get to your current goal.

If you don't like what you do now, on a day-to-day basis, you need to seriously re-evaluate what you are working towards. On the other hand, perhaps you like what you are doing, and are simply frustrated that you can't seem to make the next step - the step that you *expected* to make. In that case, the news is good. You *can* have a full and happy career, doing what you are doing. You may not get the truly great job - but there are lots of jobs that are just fine, for people who are doing what they love.

So...there are really two issues here. The first is that your increased frustration with your ability to do well (in the practice room) may well be the sign that your standards have gone WAY up, and you are truly starting to understand what quality work is all about. Don't let this frustrate you - keep working and your performances WILL improve to your new standards.

The second issue has to do with "winning a job". It may well be that you won't reach your goal. Dealing with this realization is part of "growing up". Again - I think the key is to do what you like to do (for its own sake) and letthe job titles and achievements come as they may.

For musical problems, drill down and go back to basics. Work with your teacher to identify the technical weak spots and attack them.

For Life, the Universe, and Everything - find someone *other* than your teacher who you can unload on, and discuss things. The nice thing about a university environment is that there are professionals nearby who can help you. Find one.

Follow Ups: