Vaughan Williams Concerto Curiosity

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris Horsch on May 06, 2002 at 10:24:36:

I have two copies of the Vaughan Williams Concerto in the arrangement for tuba and piano. One was purchased in 1956. It has a modest tan cover and is stickered with a "new price" of $2.75. The other was purchased in the early 90s. It has a somewhat garish, slick red cover and a $18.75 price sticker.

The two copies, or "versions" is probably a better word, contain a number of differences in the tuba part. Most of them are not particularly significant. For example, in the newer version the last four measures of the first movement change to 2/4, while the older version remains in 6/8 and does not contain the "Largamente" marking. Also, the second movement in the older version is loaded with breath marks that do not show up in the newer version.

The optional additions to the cadenza of the first movement appear only in the newer version.

There are at least three real differences. In the third measure before 5 in the second movement, the triplet in the older version is G A D, and it's A B D in the newer one. The first measure of 6 in the second movement is marked forte in the older version and piano in the newer one. The G in the third and fourth measure from the end of the third movement is G natural in the older version and G flat in the newer one.

I think Vaughan Williams died in 1958 and I assume (I hope) he didn't spend his final days tinkering with this. If not, were these errors that were subsequently caught and corrected, or was some editing done?

Obviously not a pressing question of universal interest, which is why it's labeled a curiosity.

Follow Ups: