Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: THE horn for Bydlo????

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Oberheu on May 14, 2001 at 15:07:16:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: THE horn for Bydlo???? posted by GC on May 14, 2001 at 08:29:10:

I think it's sort of missing the point to say that someone shouldn't use a different instrument *just* because it's easier to play in the high register. Anyone with the range to play high on an F tuba or euphonium can also play as high on a BBb or CC tuba. And if they can play musically in that range on one instrument they can also play musically on the other instrument.

But, it's my opinion that some instruments sound better on some pieces than others. Period. Playing a BBb or a 5/4 Rudy CC for Bydlo...sure, you can do it. It's not necessarily a parlor trick...nor is playing a smaller horn a trick...it's just that one sounds one way while the other sounds the other way. For me, the big horns are just too heavy and woofy...no clarity at all.

Having said all that, the best Bydlo horn I've ever heard is the Alexander tenor tuba. Don't be mistaken...it's not a euphonium, it's a rotary tuba set up like a German F tuba but it's pitched in Bb like a euphonium. Roger Bobo has one that sounds absolutely AMAZING on Bydlo!!! The other ones like it that were made from that run are owned by David Fedderly (I think was previously owned by Arnold Jacobs), Gene Pokorny, Norm Pearson...I forget the other two (maybe Dave Kirk?). It has a really special sound that just sings without being especially bright or direct...it's perfect for Bydlo.

And as far as having one horn for one excerpt...Roger Bobo told me a story once about a trumpet player in Los Angeles that played Tchaikovsky's Capriccio Italien better than he'd ever heard. He told the player it was the best he'd heard and asked how he managed to make it so great. The trumpet player showed him the horn he used....it was a Db trumpet that he'd specially built. It was the right horn for the right job. Why shouldn't tubists do the same (if they have the money to shell out, that is!)?

Follow Ups: