Re: Re: Re: Canadian military bands

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Anthony Labelle on May 14, 2001 at 00:29:34:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Canadian military bands posted by chris martin on May 13, 2001 at 23:16:08:

John can be contacted at john.griffiths(AT)uregina.ca

As for the "if you want to keep it" issue, I've never heard of any americans losing their citizenship for being involved with another country's(especially such a very closely allied country)government, which, especially considering how much american involvement there is in the Canadian army, and vice versa. I know that when I looked into getting a U.S. Citizenship, the first thing they told me was that I'd have to give up my Canadian citizenship... If you have a Canadian passport, then you know why that's such a bad idea. I have one relative who worked/served in the Canadian army, but in the U.S. on american military bases. If there is some sort of exchange program that would allow you to play in an american army band, but enlisted through the Canadian armed forces, you could never go wrong with that.. assuming such a thing exists. I'd get in contact with John, I'm sure he's very knowlegable of the inner workings of both armed forces.

One other point to take into consideration... you can always enlist into the American Armed forces as a Canadian, regardless of what the recruiter tells you(that 2-year limit they'll tell you about doesn't actually exist), but not necessarily vice-versa. Having a dual citizenship, though, I don't think you'd have any problems enlisting in the militaries of either country. Best of luck to you, and let me know what you find out.

Anthony

Follow Ups: