Re: (Long) Road Trip Report: Dillon Music

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on May 11, 2001 at 14:57:10:

In Reply to: (Long) Road Trip Report: Dillon Music posted by Rick Denney on May 11, 2001 at 13:29:45:

The following written under my interpretation of the term "bevel" being equalent to the Besson/B&H advertisement term "undercut" as in "undercut slides" as of 3 or 4 decades ago.

Bevelling the tuning leadpipes on my Bb/A piccolo trumpet, Eb cornet, corno da caccia, and my flugelhorns (1 in Eb, 3 in BBb) is something I have had good results with.

Less resistance, fewer random edgy sound components. All most likely due to less turbulences. Turbulences that I perceive as perpendicular-to-the-main-air-stream acoustical and aerodynamic factors.

I also have bevelled the main tuning and valve slides of my old Sovereign bassbone with its heavy nickel silver slide branches more inspired by gun barrel wall dimensions, than by the demands for flexible musicmaking. The trombone itself amazes myself and other players alike, but the valve range is a true challenge, none the least in dynamic flexibility.

My Besson 981 Eb has very heavy walled slide branches as weel. As I do pull no other slides than the main tuning one, I maybe should have bevelled that one. I have not done so yet in fear of the resulting sound violating my low fats diet.

As for your experiences of your York Master I have to wonder a bit. My frontbelled, very beaten up specimen is a legato instrument almost beyond belief. Actually I use my trombone style legato tonguing to keep some contures in slower slurred passages.

But then I have bevelled the PT-50, that I use on my 4 Eb/BBb basses (the 2 others are the Conn 26K and 40K).

Congratulations on the Besson New Standard euph made fit for a full 4-barrel fight!

Klaus

Follow Ups: