Re: B&S/Sonora Tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt Walters on May 03, 2001 at 15:57:42:

In Reply to: B&S/Sonora Tubas posted by Keith C. on May 03, 2001 at 13:49:26:

Keith,
That's a good maybe. The tooling and mandrels are like the VMI 3101 (Hilgers Model) Strangly, this is a more expensive model than the 3103 (103). If you need a new bell, branch, slide crook, tubing, or complete rotor assembly, we can order that through VMI and it will fit your horn. The leadpipe to 1st rotor is currently different. The newer versions also have a different 3rd and 4th valve tubing wrap. Here in the States, Selmer was importing that tuba as a Gerhardt Schneider. I've seen them stenciled with: No name, Alexander, Houser, Sonora, Giardinelli, Karl Zeiss, and one or two more. Currently, you can get that as a Conn International (formerly stamped Musica), and Brook Mays is importing them under their stencil. I can't get any one manufacturer to admit that they made all those different variations of the same horn. Phillip Alexander said they never made that horn and but they offered them made from another manufacturer. Roland Meinl comes to mind, but I am not sure. Hope that helps. Matt

Follow Ups: