Re: Re: Re: Re: Florida State U.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave on May 27, 1999 at 15:40:48:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Florida State U. posted by Brett on May 27, 1999 at 14:44:47:

I didn't mean to come off as argumentative. I've just heard it a million times..."I left that sucky school because no one there gave me a chance...blah...blah...blah." I will accept that your friends reasons are valid. Sorry!

One has to look at the overall package a school offers. Interpersonal relationships is a skill you learn in college. You may not agree with everything your professor tells you, but you take it in and use what you see fit. That's the glory of college...you get so much thrown at you that you can pick and choose.

You have to balance the quality of instruction, facilities and performance opportunity. As Mr. Ebbers will tell you, you don't learn tuba in his studio, you learn it in the practice room and in the ensembles. If there are only 6 moldy, unventilated practice rooms for the whole school of music and only a handful of ensembles, it will take tremendous amounts of discipline for a young, distracted freshman to succeed. It can be done, but it is tough.

I'd like to hear more about U of Miami. I've always been told it's a great commercial music school, but the exhorbitant tuition scares me from even considering it.

Follow Ups: